Sunday, October 3, 2010

Andrew's Third Birthday

I could not in good conscience post this week's Sunday Best without little background information. Last Saturday, we celebrated Andrew's third birthday at a The Pizza Machine. Why we might choose to have a party for 25 people there should be apparent when you consider this first picture. I call it "Wait until you see the pizza for my fourth birthday!"


The second photo is really the one that needs the explanation. You see, I have established a household policy that my children are free to choose their own favorite sports player. While the Blackhawks were busy winning last year's Stanley Cup, when I asked who his favorite hockey player was, he would turn the question back on me. I refused to answer until he chose one for himself. When he eventually chose Antti Niemi as his favorite, I let him in on mine, Jonathan Toews.

Andrew's decision on a favorite football player was a bit of a traumatic family experience. Part of the policy I created comes with the understanding that while favorite player is a free choice, my children’s favorite team is genetically passed from father to son (or daughter). So when a recently two year old Andrew chose Brett Favre as his favorite, the struggle began to distinguish between favorite player and favorite team. (I've received surprisingly little help in this endeavor from Mollie's Minnesota relatives.)

The rule has since been amended to allow a second favorite team, but Andrew is slowly learning that genetics will always win out in a head to head battle. We went to a Braves game while we were in Atlanta. About a month later, we caught a Sox vs. Braves game up in Chicago. Andrew was properly taught that he could like the Braves, but we wanted them to lose when ever they played the White Sox.

As Andrew's third birthday approached, Mollie decided he had enough toys and that clothing was what she wanted to get him. She looked for a miniature Blackhawks jersey, but couldn't find one. The second piece of clothing she sought caused a bit of a stir. I had to bring myself to terms with my own rulings; Mollie wanted to get Andrew a Brett Favre jersey. After much debate, I decided that the jersey was allowed under the household ruling because denying it based on the team logo would negate the freedom of choice I had willed to Andrew. In writing this, I think I've come to the understanding that I might allow an Atlanta Braves jersey, but in the case of team rivals, only a favorite player's number will be allowed under my roof. (It goes without saying that Andrew is unequivocally banned from choosing or wearing anything related to the Chicago Cubs.)

Now that I feel I have fully explained myself, I will share the picture. The jersey is actually an ancillary part of the photo; my sister requested a picture of the birthday cake!

2 comments:

  1. I like the cake!
    my "house" ruling/philosophy is that you can like whatever team that you want, whatever players that you want - as long as you remain loyal to the team that you love the most. I love baseball so will wear any baseball shirt I can - (except Cubs adn yankees, but that's a given) - but I'm always cheering for the White Sox. (as will any under my control in teh future....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that last thought is the exact sentiment that will get you top billing as replacement-mom in Mollie and My will!

    ReplyDelete

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!