Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bulk Mailleing

Every once in a while, I realize exactly how much free time I have in my life. This weekend, it has become overly apparent, as Mollie, Andrew and Annaliese all headed North by Northwest to Minnesota, leaving me to my own devices. Faced with the stark prospect of sitting alone on the couch watching countless hours of television or parking myself at my desk and wasting the hours away on the computer, I had to find some sort of diversion. To my great fortune, I found an uncompleted project I had long ago set aside in lieu of other fleeting hobbies. With a likely 60-70 hours of work already invested in this craft, it begged to be completed.

So I took a drive to Big R and purchased two coils of 14 gauge, galvanized steel wire, packed up a couple tools I would need and headed to my parents for the weekend, for there I could find the occasional conversation amidst my monotonous task.

Arriving in the early evening, I set the dog aright in the kitchen, then toted my supplies to the basement; a clamp, a wood block, a metal doll rod, a drill and I was in business. It didn’t take long to coil the 200 feet of wire around the doll rod, creating long, tightly wound springs. The ensuing step, the most painful of the entire process, was to use a bolt cutter to clip the springs into individual rings. Next, the rings had to be either opened or closed, making my future work easier. This long task of gripping each tiny ring between two needle nose pliers is by the most arduous and least fruitful step in the creation process, but remains an unwelcome necessity.

With the rings prepared and waiting in small plastic containers, I could finally begin the construction phase, weaving the rings into my half-completed project. This weekend’s task was to complete the sleeves, an endeavor for which I had not been able to find explicit directions despite gratuitous time spent wading the internet. Through a trial by fire approach and after numerous revisions to my original ‘plan,’ the sleeves were fit and finished.

I realize that I have come this far without explicitly telling what I have been making, but have left the occasional clue to keep you guessing. Have you figured it out? Perhaps.

The finish line is now in site. I have added a few rings to the collar, making a more shapely neck line. I have a few rows of black chain to add to each sleeve and the collar for added detail and I have a few minor changes to make to the thunderbird inlay that adorns the chest. After that, I am simply awaiting my return to Springfield to purchase more steel for an adding additional four or five inches of length to the garment and a little girth to the sleeves.

It has been almost two years since I first began work on my chain mail shirt. I have spent a guessed 80+ hours of work intertwining an estimated 15,000 to 16,000 rings. With only 2,000 to 3,000 rings to go, I am growing excited; keep your eyes here, photos are sure to come!

Of course, if you live nearby, you may be just as likely to see me wearing my mail shirt about the town, at least for one day!

2 comments:

  1. Sadly I guessed it around the time you said you were coiling metal... matt used to have a gig that did this, though I don't think he got as far on his as you have. He has a friend who completed a whole shirt though - and of tiny wires.

    ReplyDelete

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!