Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Mask part 1: The Hunt

Last week, I had the audacity to share a story I had written. My raving success (at posting the story, not of people reading and enjoying it . . .) has left me with the desire to share another story, one that may be my favorite. It has been published in a local Springfield publication, “The Writers Block;” a monthly collection of writings and artworks by local residents. I was at first at a loss regarding how to share this story in my blog, as it is much longer than the last (which was admittedly too long for a blog). However, over the weekend, my mother suggested sharing the story as a serial. Pure genius! What better way was there to break up a long story, and simultaneously relieve me of writing duties for the next week?

So it is with great joy and anticipation that I present to you part 1 of The Mask.


The Mask – Part 1: The Hunt

     The three of us ran through the dense forest, branches smacking us as we went. The sound of feet echoed through the woods behind us. There must be at least twenty of them after us. Why couldn't we have just left? What was so important about this mask anyway?

     We had followed the party for about 20 miles that day. They moved at an amazing pace, despite the gear they toted, each carried a shovel and great pack on their back. Sweat was dripping down my face, pouring from my brow like a small river. The heat was unbearable. Even through the dense canopy of dark green leaves, the sun beat down on us. The last two days had been hot, but this was too much. Just as my legs began to give out beneath me, Brent motioned for us to stop. Relieved, I collapsed onto the ground, my back against a tree. Brent looked at me and shook his head, a frown of disapproval on his face. I couldn't understand it; the heat hardly seemed to faze him. But then, nothing did.

     He motioned for us to follow him under a bush to get a better view of our prey. Hidden in the shrubs, we saw them stopped in a small clearing, gathered in a group. They talked amongst themselves, but when the one man began to speak, all the others were silent. As he pointed this way and that, the men spread out and began unpacking. Tents were pitched and fires kindled. Soon, the sweet smell of cooking meat found us. Still in the brush, the smell was overwhelming. I hadn't eaten since earlier that morning. All we had now was a few small sandwiches and wild berries. Hungrily, I devoured my portion and lay down to sleep. Despite the cold ground and wet leaves brushing against my face, I was sound asleep in minutes, the smell still overpowering my mind.


Here ends part 1 of The Mask. Why are our heroes tracking this expedition deep into the jungle? Who is the mysterious man that commands all the others? Tune in tomorrow as our story continues. Same Mask time, same Mask channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!