Monday, October 26, 2009

Hodge-Podge

After a week of writing reprieve, I expected to find myself brimming with ideas to share with the world. While I am not left disappointed, I am lacking any one major topic to pick out of my brain and peck onto my keyboard. Instead, I have a few topics which have had their shoe laces untied for quite some time.

First and foremost, I finished my chain mail! A few locals have seen it, as I have been bringing it to impromptu show-and-tells everywhere I go. I took it to school to show it off and ended up wearing it for most of the morning, as I had discussions with each class about the history of armor and how to make it. I briefly donned it in St. Louis after a church service, which brings me to my second mini-topic.

Mollie and I spent the weekend visiting friends in St. Louis. She met up with two friends from Cedar Rapids (yes, I know it is weird to go to St. L to see people from CR . . .) while Andrew and I visited some friends from the Zoo. Taking him to the zoo is always fun, but this time was a little stressful. Perhaps it is because I was trying to take a few pictures, perhaps it is because I didn’t put him on his monkey-backpack-leash. Perhaps it is because we walked around for half an hour trying to find the giraffes. We followed the signs in circles, never passing an empty habitat, but the directions to the giraffes kept running out. I even looked at a map and found nothing but ostriches where the giraffes should have been. I would have just forgotten about them, but Andrew had specifically asked to see them! How could I let him down? Finally, I remembered that the Giraffes lived with the Ostriches and that they had likely been moved inside to warmer climes.

Perhaps the best part of that day was the time spent right after parking the car. We found a spot near the fountain in Forest Park and took some time to climb the hill and take some pictures. Which brings me to my third mini-topic . . .

I have had two or three people ask for pictures of ‘The Girl.’ I had intended to spend my morning sorting through what I’ve taken and posting them to Photobucket, but it seems I haven’t downloaded any new pictures off my camera, which is inconveniently in Mollie’s car. So I can give you nothing but the promise of a future posting of pictures, perhaps Wednesday when I am home once more. (There are so many pictures I need to share, pictures of Annaliese, of my chain mail, of Andrew’s weekend adventures and perhaps even a lone picture of my final mini-topic.,)

Me thinks it is time for breakfast . . . which brings me to my final thought of the day. (As it is only 9:21, I am likely to have another thought throughout the day, but none are likely to be of any interest to the outside world.)

I received a medium sized box via the USPS the other day. They had received it from the Canadian post office, who received it post marked Toronto, ON. I had previously received a package from Toronto, an autographed photo from Frank Thomas, but this was much larger and much less flat. Picking up the box, it sent forth a rattling noise with every turn. Does anyone remember what I was expecting, what candy I had overpaid to receive? (see the second half of this post.) It was my Tart n Tinys, perhaps the World’s last existing stash of my favorite candy! I have since eaten one box. The candies are showing visual markings of their age, years of sitting unfettered seems to have bled their colors together in small spots, but their taste is still pristine.

There you have it, a hodge-podge of loose ends, all tied up in a neat little package. Okay, it may be neither neat nor little, but at least it is tied up. So I leave you all and set off in search of my next topic. What will I write about tomorrow? Sweet muse please visit soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!