Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Mask part 2: The Legend

     I was shaken from dreams of home and tables laden with stuffed turkey and cherry pie by my friend and companion Brent. Brent was slightly taller than I was, and he had light brown hair, which he always wore back in a ponytail. He was a gentle man, but seeing him looming over me startled me.
     "Aaah . . ." I started. He quickly muffled my voice with his hand.
     "Sssh! There leaving," he whispered.
     Groggily, I stood up and packed my sleeping bag. It was even damper than when I had laid down the night before, soaked with dew. Picking up my few belongings, we were on our way. Brent led the way as we followed the men, and Ryan followed me. Ryan was the brawn of our group. He could pick up two full-grown men and throw them aside. I had seen him in a fight once. The man ran around Ryan and hit him from the left. Ryan turned to grab him, only to be hit from the right. The fight went on like this for some time, until the man made a mistake. He jabbed Ryan in the back with a left and them a right. Usually, Ryan had turned around after other similar attacks. But this time, he stood up and tried to think. The man danced around Ryan, right into his arms. Bam! It was all over. One hit. Ryan wasn't the fastest or the smartest man, but I sure was glad to have him on my side.
     "They didn't break camp today," I commented. "We must be almost there."
     "They only took their tools with them. Today should be the day," answered Brent.
     "And exactly what have we been following these men for?" I asked.
     "For the two-hundredth time," Brent answered with the patience of a father driving a car, "They are heading to the old runes. Legend has it that there are artifacts there that possess great powers."
     "What kind of powers?" asked Ryan with a childish anxiety in his voice.
     "No one is really sure. The power to turn people to stone, maybe, or the power to fly. One legend has it that there is a golden mask. Anyone wearing this mask has the power to lead an army of 15 men against the world. If these men get it, there may be nothing anyone can do to stop them!"
     "So, if they do get the mask and they have all this power, how are we going to take it from them? And if we do get it, what will we do with it?" I ask, a queasy feeling growing in my stomach.
     "We'll just have to take it from them before they use it. And when we do get it," he stressed the when, "we have to destroy it. The world cannot survive with that much power in it," Brent finished the conversation.


Here ends part 2 of The Mask. Will these evil men find the dangerous mask? And if they do, how will our heroes ever get it back before they use it? Join us tomorrow as our story continues. Same Mask time, same Mask channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!