Saturday, September 26, 2009

"Unforgetful You"

Did you miss me? Ooh, you didn’t even notice I was gone. Well, I have a great excuse for missing yesterday’s blog . . . I forgot!

Actually, I did remember, but it was at about 11:30 PM, just twelve hours after I woke up. That’s right, with the in-laws taking care of Andrew for one last morning and Mollie being kind enough to feed Anna, I got to sleep in. Once I returned to bed after the 5:00 AM feeding, I didn’t awake until 11:30 AM.

Andrew had his two year check-up yesterday. Our lucky little boy didn’t have to get any shots. I can still remember the last time he got his shots, but not for the reason I suspect many parents can’t escape that memory. I’m sure Andrew cried, but not enough to firmly embed in my mind. The seed of my memory . . . well, let me begin at the beginning.

Andrew inherited has father’s allergies. To help combat them, he takes a liquid, generic form of Zyrtec. While that medicine has a slight purple taste, he is actually very good about taking all the myriad of medicines he has been on, regardless of taste. We just fill up a syringe, and stick it in his mouth. He hardly ever complains.

Which brings me back to his last set of shots. The nurse walked in the room, carrying several needles. Andrew was oblivious to the needles, but instantly recognized the syringes they were attached to. In a simultaneously hilarious, yet tragic scene, my one and a half year old son smiled, giggled and let out a gloriously ignorant, anticipatory laugh.

Ooh, my poor son! There is so much you have yet to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!