Saturday, August 15, 2009

Go Go White Sox

My son woke us up this morning and, true to what Mollie said last night, I had to get up with him. We got up and were going to play a game on the computer, but it was running slow and he was a little wheezy, so off we went to find his nebulizer. Nebulizing a nearly two year old can be a very daunting task. How many of you can sit still for 15 minutes with something covering your mouth and nose? I knew I needed something I could put on TV to keep his attention. The usual go-to video would be one of his Baby Einstein animal videos, but I am currently burned out on them. What was I to do??? I wandered into my study and perused our collection. I needed something entertaining to me, but that would also hold his interest. I found a perfect marriage of those two factors: The White Sox 2005 World Series DVD. (As a side note, Andrew just came and joined me on my lap. He says "Hi" to everyone.)

I'm going off topic (which may be a good thing), but it is truly amazing watching him grow up. From a few weeks ago when his attempts at jumping actually lifted him about an inch off the ground, to his use of words I had no idea he knew (he recognized and named a camel the other day, which is not an animal I remember seeing in his animal videos), I am repeatedly surprised by his memory, his development and his vocabulary.

Watching him is truly fun. On our way to the zoo yesterday, I was sharing some M&M's with him. I would hold two up and ask him, "Andrew, do you want the green one or the yellow one." Most times when asked, he would turn his eyes from one hand to the other and I could see him contemplating the question - which one do I want? "Green," he would finally reply. "Orange," was always a quick answer when given the option and was never passed over for a different color. There was actually one time when it took him a couple seconds to choose an orange M&M. It was when I held up my hands and asked, "Do you want orange or orange?" He looked from one hand to the other, then looked again, as if to wrap his mind around the fact that something was different, something was wrong. He looked one last time, assimilated the oddity and chose an orange.

My dad has told me the story of how he was watching an infant me as my hands waved about. All of a sudden I stopped and looked at my hands, turning them over slowly. He said tha at that moment, I was realizing that I was in control of these two things that had been previously been unguided in their movements. It is hard to continually realize that so many experiences are completely new for a young child. Being able to watch as Andrew grows, learns and adapts is truly amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your hands? Just wait until you discover the attachments at the end of your legs.

    ReplyDelete

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!