Thursday, August 27, 2009

Knock Knock

Who’s there?
John.
John who?
John the Baptist.

As I laugh and splash water in her face, my wife once again proves that she is the best.

So many times I find myself short of an explanation when I try to describe what makes my wife so great. I recently heard a song that aptly describes my predicament; “Every time I try to tell you how I feel it comes out ‘I love you.’” But yesterday, as Mollie bravely accepted being the brunt of this joke for the nth time in our 7 years of marriage, I found words to fill out one of the many reasons; again and again she puts up with my favorite jokes.

The ‘ha ha, I’m splashing you with water again’ joke is my favorite actual joke. While it shows great patience on her part to repeatedly partake in my trickery (by the by, occasionally ‘Knock knock’ is followed by ‘Nobody’s home), patiently putting up with my absolutely favorite funny statement shows the patience of saint. When somebody asks how long we’ve been married, I quickly reply, “Oh, it feels like 15 years.” (That joke is decidedly funnier when Mollie is standing right beside me.)

To my credit, I have checked with Mollie to make sure she doesn’t hate my twisted humor. Her acceptance of my ‘humerical’ oddities (and there are many others - like when she finds a friend to join me for free chili after 11 pm when I really need a friend to join me for free chili after 11pm) is one of the reasons she is so great. Why is an elephant big, gray and wrinkled? Because if it were small, white and smooth it would be an aspirin!

While I joke about how I feel, I want nothing more than to be married to Mollie for time untold. She knows that I already have a gift for our 25th anniversary (those who are paying attention will have deduced it is likely small and silly). I have often told her how I look forward to celebrating our 5oth anniversary together. By then, I’ll have to tell people it feels like 110.

2 comments:

  1. hey - i told you that joke! (that's my favorite knock-knock joke) and I've totally pulled that one on mollie before - i can't believe she fell for it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my credit I only choose to fall for this joke when I feel like it. However, it does keep our marriage interesting. I love being married to you too. I look forward to the next 70 years and many more jokes. P.S Somedays it does feel like 15 years.

    ReplyDelete

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!