Friday, August 7, 2009

I Feel Sorry For Pedro

Samwise, our four year old beagle, used to get daily attention! We would spend puppy and Mike time, chasing a ball (him, not me . . . . well, sometimes me) or sitting on the floor, scratching each other's belly. Then Andrew came along. Now Sam-time has been pushed to the back burner, only occasionally checked when I think it might be getting burned.

Within a month, we will have another knee high creature in our house. Our second child, whose name is being kept under lock and key, will arrive and she will push Andrew to the back burner, while Sam will be removed from the stove, allowed to cool, put in a Tupperware and shelved in the refrigerator. (I hope you're not taking this literally!!! Obviously, we don't have any Tupperware that big!)

Which brings me to Pedro. For those who are unfamiliar, Pedro is my 128 pound rubber band ball. (Pedro's Web Site) He hasn't been fed in over three years. He has been pushed back by Samwise, put in storage for Andrew and will soon be that container in the back of the fridge that we fear to open. All the while, he has sat patiently, enjoying his quiet spot on a small rug beside my desk. He has endured being used as a shelf for my homeless printer. He has watched quietly while Andrew sits upon my lap, stealing the attention that used to be his. So I am left to wonder, with so many others vying for attention, is it time to put the old boy out to pasture? Is it time to send him to the next world via the fiery pyre that has long been prepared for him? Or do I let him sit idly by, as he falls into disrepair, longing for a brief taste of the attention he once had?

Hopefully the latter, or better, is his fate. Perhaps, I will sit and talk with him for just one minute before leaving my study and turning my attention back to those who truly need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!