Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Most Interesting Man in the World

While the title of today’s blog is tantalizing, those who have been paying attention will know that I could never be talking about myself. Instead, I am referring to my absolute favorite, post-animated frogs marketing alcohol to children, commercial series. You may have heard or seen them; they are for XX, otherwise known as ‘Dos Equis’ beer. The serial commercial chronicles the life and achievements of “the most interesting man in the world.”

Please allow me to take a few moments to revel in a few of my favorites:

The police often question him, just because the find him interesting.
If he were to mail a letter without postage, it would still get there.
His cereal never gets soggy. It sits there, staying crispy, just for him.
His advice on self defense: ‘The right look should suffice.’
If he disagrees with someone, it is because they are wrong.
He is the only person to ever ace a Rorschach Test.
He is . . . the most interesting man in the world.

While I love the humor in these commercial, it is not the reason I will someday sit down and sample a Dos Equis. I have thoroughly enjoyed humor-filled commercials before without falling to their temptations. There is more than humor to appreciate here. Each commercial ends with this sage of wisdom and experience relating to the listener, “I don’t always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.”

How thoroughly amazing is that? The brain-trust behind this series understood that for him to truly be that interesting, there was no way he could be tied down to one type of beverage. Obviously, he would occasionally enjoy a hard whiskey, a crisp soda or even a warm glass of milk. But they didn’t stop there. In their infinite and brave insight, they understood that a man of his report would even find himself enjoying their competitors beers. He does, however, prefer Dos Equis.

So it is to this work of marketing genius and artistry that I will one day raise a double crossed bottle to my lips, just to see if I too prefer Dos Equis.

1 comment:

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In the blogging world, that is not true. The greatest validation you can give a blogger's mindless ramblings is to leave a comment. Your comment not only shouts to the world that you bothered to show up, but more importantly that what you read exuded some response! There can be no greater compliment!